Monday, April 09, 2007

Excuses excuses...

Who's this rugged individual right here? Well you'll just have to wait and see.



He's this totally tertiary character that I've been struggling with since I started to work on episode 3. He's only in it for a bit, but he gets some SUPER CHOICE lines, Thanks to Matt and Mike who both had a hand in writing them, and Mike also lends a sexy Latin vibe for his voice.


Anyway, since he was such a pain in the ass I thought I'd show what the process of getting him to this stage was like.


Stage one: I just draw whatever the hell happens to pop into my brain while listening to the audio track and reading the script or any notes I may have taken on the character.

Here the character is a little more fleshed out looking that the other characters in the show. That will probably bug me.



Stage Two: Simplifying the character somewhat, making him a little sleazier/Dangerous/Salty. Still not doin' it for me.






Stage Three: "When in doubt, go WAY left field." Filled the dude out a little and slapped him in a Hawaiian shirt. I like him, he's a little rough but I think a winner... just not for this character. These lines coming out of this guy just don't make sense.









Stage Four: I... I just don't know what to say... they can't all be winners?


In the end I went for a look that was a marriage of the first and third. I know eh still doesn't jive with the rest of the characters, but like I've said before this show is my sandbox. I'm building stuff up and seeing what sticks and what crumples.
So yeah... These sketches were weeks to months apart. a heck of a lot of time to spend on a guy who literally has SECONDS of screen time. But I felt he was going to be important enough to warrant a decent design.
This is the sort of thing I need to get a handle on if I'm ever going to finish 12 freaking episodes.
~Steve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, your left field caricature is more in line with my life's experience.
Lines not making sense coming from him?
More like, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS KNEE-DEEP IN PUSSY, YOU CAVEMAN!

sniff

- Mike

Brian Evinou said...

Word dude, This guy looks pretty rad. Character design is tough stuff man, I love seeing other peoples process. Looks great man. Whens ep 3 gonna be on the air

Anonymous said...

I'm a little in love with Hawaiian shirt guy. I hope he makes an appearance later on.